So you're a college student and let's face it, you're pretty much broke. How I have made it this far without living on the streets is a true miracle. But thankfully I taught myself a long time ago how to budget. I will talk more about budgeting later, but today I want to let everyone in on a few secrets that I know. Some of these you may already know, some you may not.
First of all there is this AMAZING website called Chegg. Thankfully someone told me about it my first semester of college and I have used it every semester since. I thought that every college student knew about Chegg, but it occurred to me this semester that not everyone knows about it. I am taking a consumer behavior class this summer and we have to post six purchases that we have made each week. The professor encouraged us to post about the book that we were required to buy for class. As I starting reading I realized that most of the students had bought their book from the campus book store and paid well over $100 dollars for their book. I paid $26! It is so irrational to over spend on books! College students are already low on cash because of tuition, don't pay more money on overpriced books! Also there are several other websites out there that you can rent or buy books from and not spend a lot of money. I always compare the prices on Chegg to Campusbookrentals.com. On most textbook sites, if you are renting, you don't get to choose your return date, and most of the time the date is way past your final exams. Well with campus book rentals you can pick your due date and it will save you some money! It's seriously awesome! Amazon also sometimes has great low prices for books and if you have a Kindle sometimes it is cheaper to rent the e-text. So my recommendation is to start with Google, when you need to buy or rent a textbook google what is out there and find the best price. Trust me it will save you thousands of dollars once your college career is over. And what college student doesn't need to save money?
The other tip I also just discovered. It should seriously be a law of college nature that you only find out about the good stuff your college offers when you only have one or two semesters left. Anyways I just discovered that Kennesaw State University offers free training for programs such as Illustrator and Photoshop. Why did I not know about this sooner?? One day I am going to put a pamphlet out that is titled, "The stuff you really need to know" and hand it out to college students after orientation is over! But back to my point they offer so many classes where you can go and learn how to use all sorts of programs. This is extremely important, trust me, if you did not learn about some of these programs in high school or college you need to learn them! You will use them in your career! Especially if your a marketing major, trust me!
Another great tip/trick on how to save money is that most places whether it's a retail or restaurant give student discounts. All you have to do is show a current school ID. Most of the time it isn't a huge discount, but it certainty adds up over the four years...or six years.
I found this great article on BuzzFeed that has more tips and trick for a college student. Here it is: College Student Life Hacks
See ya'll next time to talk about budgeting :)
No comments:
Post a Comment